RESTRICTIONS STILL IN PLACE
The government announced extension of state of emergency in response to surge in COVID-19 cases.
- The state of emergency which was supposed to end on 31 May 2021 will be extended to 20 June 2021.
- Prohibition of serving alcohol and offering karaoke services.
- Restaurants and bars, department stores and movie theaters are allowed to operate, however, these facilities shall close by 8 pm.
- Events are allowed to be held with a cap of 5000 people or 50% of the venue’s capacity
- In addition, quasi-emergency state which was supposed to end on 31 May 2021 will also be extended to 20 June 2021 for Saitama, Chiba, Kanagawa, Gifu and Mie. However, the quasi-emergency state will end on 13 June 2021 for Gunma, Ishikawa and Kumamoto.
- Starting from 1 June 2021, several commercial facilities will resume operations in Tokyo, Osaka and other prefectures.
- On 7 June 2021, it was announced that Okinawa will start to close schools in response to COVID-19 infections spread.