Updates on the extended enhance community quarantine (ECQ). The existing ECQ has been extended.
- On 23 April, the President Rodrigo Duterte announced that the ECQ will be extended till 15 May 2020 on metropolitan Manila and half of the main island of Luzon. In addition to Metro Manila, 17 provinces (high-risk zones) in Luzon will continue on lock down.
- The movement of people continues to be restricted, and will be only allowed to go out for essential trips.
IMPACT ON FOOD SUPPLY CHAIN
- On 23 April, the Department of Agriculture (DA) Secretary William Dar reiterated that the country has adequate supplies of food, including rice until June amid the COVID-19 pandemic.
In order to enhance food security concerns amidst the COVID-19 outbreak, various efforts have been putting in by the DA, including
– The DA will be implementing a P31 billion ‘’Plant, Plant, Plant Program’’ to raise paddy production to meet 93% of the country’s total demand.
– On 20 April, the Guidelines on the Expanded Livestock and Poultry Production and Livelihood Project for COVID-19 Response was issued to support the food security through recommended governance of livestock and poultry livelihood in response to COVID-19 situation.
– On 21 April, it was announced that a Task Group on Food Security (TGFS), is created and chaired by the DA to secure adequate food supply during this critical period.