ENTERING RECOVERY PHASE
China – A Challenge to Australia Recovery.
- As in February, Australia has mitigated the COVID-19 outbreak.
- Like New Zealand (NZ), Australia is experiencing shipping issues related to strict coronavirus controls.
- On 24 March, Australia lifted its travel ban with New Zealand in the first step of a travel bubble. NZ will elaborate on the bubble on 6 April.
- Trade relations, particularly with China, remain a challenge. On 12 March, President Biden included Australia in a four-way summit. The summit aimed to strengthen alliances against a rising China. Australia-China relations have worsened even though a Henry Jackson society study found Australia more reliant on Chinese products, including food, than NZ, Canada, the UK and the US.
- In line with these political changes, the Australia Food and Grocery Council has submitted new guidelines to China for the labelling of food and beverage exports.